It seems to me some of the images may have multiple lattices and/or
pseudomerohedral twinning. Are all the spots predicted during integration? What
do the various twinning tests indicate?

JPK

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Chris Fage
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:52 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] High Rwork/Rfree vs. Resolution

Thanks again for the advice, everyone.

As suggested, I tried NCS and TLS in phenix.refine, although my R-factors did
not budge.

I am now giving PDB_REDO and simulating annealing in PHENIX a shot. I am also
looking into setting up XDS.

Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure how to check whether the bulk solvent
model is reasonable.

For these crystals, HKL2000 does invariably report high mosaicity along one
axis (it is in the "red").

Yes, the structure was solved by MR. For the 1.65-angstrom map, the model is
very complete, with density missing only for the N-terminal 6xHis tag and first
three residues, as well as 5-10 other residues on flexible loops (the protein
is ~300 residues, including the tag). Most side chains are well resolved. The
quality of the 1.90-angstrom map is lower, with more gaps, more noise, and less
side-chain coverage. In each map, there is no remaining density that
legitimately needs to be filled.

I have attached representative frames and relevant details from the HKL2000
scale logs. (Note that the 1.65-A set was originally scaled to 1.53 A.)
As for making the datasets available before publication, I would have to check
with my supervisor. The idea might not fly with him, as the structure is
expected to be of relatively high impact.
Best,
Chris

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Francis Reyes
<francis.re...@colorado.edu<mailto:francis.re...@colorado.edu>> wrote:

> I'm guessing the low completeness of the 1.65 angstrom dataset has to do with
> obstacles the processing software encountered on a sizable wedge of frames
> (there were swaths of in red in HKL2000). I'm not sure why this dataset in
> particular was less complete than the others.

This is bad. Large swaths of red circles during integration is bad. I believe
(check the Denzo manual) this means overlaps and overlaps get thrown out. Thus
you are getting lower completeness. Was your oscillation range too large?
Crystal very mosaic?

However this could be because of a poor crystal orientation matrix by HKL2000
which in some cases can be alleviated by mosflm and xds. (HKL2000 is much more
manual, there's a lot of buttons, which means you can shoot yourself in the
foot if you are not careful).

I would be particularly interested in a resolution bin breakdown in the
integration and merging statistics. (I/sig and rmerge). You might as well post
the refinement statistics (r and rfree) by resolution bin as well.

You have a smallish unit cell that shoots to high resolution and getting a
reasonable completion of the low resolution bins is paramount.  Post the
completeness of the 20-10A bin.

Is this molecular replacement? How complete is the model? Aside from the
completeness of the model, how far is it from the target?

You mentioned that some regions of your crystal had smeary spots. This is also
bad, particularly if the errors are not random  (I.e anisotropic along one
axis). This will confuse ML refinement. Let's see a single frame of your data.

Cheers,