On Friday, 28 March, 2014 12:35:57 mesters wrote:
> The OpenGL performance is rather poor on intel HD chips up to and
> including the HD 4600

My experience differs.
I have not seen dramatically different performance in practice between coot
running on nvidia and the same program version running on Intel HD4000.
Yes the OpenGL benchmarks are radically different, but that doesn't seem
to reflect what is acheived by programs of interest.  I notice more of a
difference in Pymol performance, but not such a huge difference as to be a
problem.

> but with the appearance of HD 5000 series (Iris
> HD) the Cinebench OpenGL score increased dramatically and even
> challenges many nvidia cards in performance. With these kind of intel
> chips you should be able to run Coot and Pymol smoothly and operate a
> passive 3D screen without problems.
>
> HOWEVER
>
> Good 2-core chips would be Core i5-4258U
> <http://ark.intel.com/products/75990> or Core i5-4288U
> <http://ark.intel.com/products/75991> with plenty of performance and, no
> surprice, found in many Apple computers (not the mini model, too
> bad...). Have not yet seen one mini-pc with these chips but this is
> probably due to need for active (and sometimes loud) cooling.
> One mini PC with a 4-core and Iris Pro Graphics is the new Gigabyte Brix
> Pro. Already the model with the "low end" chip Core i5-4570R
> <http://ark.intel.com/products/76640> is EXTREMELY loud.

I'm running a fanless i7-3517UE (Ivy Bridge).  Totally silent.

        Ethan