I think the new versions of GE's HisTrap columns can address
these problems. Try contacting someone at GE.

I think a number of labs have had such problems in the past
and the culprit has been believed to be a chelator in the
media but never confirmed because the manufacturer of the
media is not willing to disclose the contents for the media.

Best wishes,
Reza

Reza Khayat, PhD
Assistant Professor