TLS in phenix does seem to lead to high B factors in some of our cases. To check whether it was particular to our datasets , we rerefined some similar structures to ours from the PDB and found that their B factors increased to high values similar to our structure when run through the same phenix.refine protocol.

Structure 1 Chain A original Average B 40.85 After Phenix with TLS 113.33 Chain B Original 50.1 After phenix TLS 121.11 Structure 2 Chain A original Average B 64.46 After Phenix with TLS 100.63 Chain B original 64.99 After Phenix TLS 103.5 Structure 3 Chain A original 46.44 After TLS 52.63 - so it does not always happen

This of course only proved that our data was probably not exceptional it was the protocol. It does not explain what is going on.

http://www.phenix-online.org/pipermail/phenixbb/2010-January/014374.html
seems to offer some explanation of the TLS scaling in phenix.

It may be the anisotropic component reduces the size of the actual B factor back to closer to the values before TLS?

Best wishes
Nick

--
Prof Nicholas H. Keep
Executive Dean of School of Science

email     n.k...@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Telephone 020-7631-6852  (Room G54a Office)
          020-7631-6800  (Department Office)
Fax       020-7631-6803
If you want to access me in person you have to come to the crystallography
entrance
and ring me or the department office from the internal phone by the door