Hi, Tim,

When we were working on our paper in 2011, refmac had a bug that always
indicated in depostions that riding hydrogens were used, whether they were or
not. Published methods did not always clarify this issue. Since we could not be
definitive, we refrained from saying too much about it. However, then current
refmac structures did have plenty of close non-bonded contacts as all-atom
models, even though some (most? all?) of them were refined with riding
hydrogens 'on'. We should look again with a recent sample of structures and
find out.

Your point is well taken that constrained hydrogen coordinates may not agree
well where accurate data is available for hydrogen positions. One builds the
best model that one can with the available data. PrimeX is intended for use
with moderate resolution X-ray structures. Hydrogen positions are determined by
the force field while heavier atom positions are refined to agree with the
diffraction data and force field.

Cheers, Jeff