On 06/27/2014 06:33 AM, Bernhard Rupp wrote:
> For small ion soaking for phasing purposes, partial occupancy is not a
> problem. For example, a few 1/2 occupied Iodines still can phase quite
well.
> 1/2 a C is only 3 electrons, not that great. Add in higher
displacement, and
> odds are that the ligand interpretation will become difficult.
Particularly
> when the binding constants are poor, one will out of principle never reach
> full occupancy, which further exacerbates the weak density problem.
> Patience is definitely a virtue here.
>
> BR

   Here you are starting to mix equilibrium arguments with the previous
kinetic arguments.  If you have a weak binder you can always get full
occupancy by adding enough of the compound - to determine how much, you
must consider not only the binding constant but the number of binding
sites in the crystal and the total volume of the drop containing your
crystal.  Time is not a factor.

   Halide ions and cryoprotectants are known to pervade crystals very
rapidly, but they are usually added with "overwhelming force".  Much
more is added than is required to bind to every specific binding site in
the crystal.  The rate of diffusion, as mass flow, depends not only on
viscosity but on the concentration of unbound molecules inside the crystal.

   When I was soaking an inhibitor into a crystal of Thermolysin I was
having problems with the crystals falling apart.  My belief was that the
inhibitor caused a small change in cell constants and since the
inhibitor first bound in a shell around the surface of the crystal
strain was created and the crystal cracked.  My solution was to add
small aliquots of inhibitor with a long enough wait between to allow
each batch to diffuse throughout the crystal.  Despite waiting up to 6
hours between additions the crystals still cracked.

   This is when I realized that after the inhibitor bound in the outer
shell of the crystal the remaining concentration of free inhibitor was
one billionth (since the binding constant was nanomolar) that of the
concentration of active sites and the remaining mass flow within the
crystal was insignificant.  Of course the next aliquot would rapidly
diffuse through the occupied region of the crystal and be bound in the
shell just below it, becoming trapped itself and increasing the strain.

   Your movie doesn't include any details of concentration of your dye,
nor what its binding constant is to any sites in a protein nor any
mention of kon or koff.  The lack of information makes it very difficult
to draw any conclusions from the experiment, but I believe the
experience from many other molecules is that small molecules do move
very rapidly through protein crystals, until they are caught by a
binding site.  I don't believe your movie represents typical diffusion
of small molecules in a protein crystal.

   My interpretation of your movie is:

1) The dye rapidly diffuses into the crystal reaching a simple
equilibrium where the concentration in the bulk solvent matches that of
the outside solution.  Since the protein excludes about half of the
volume of the crystal the overall concentration is half that of the
mother liquor and the color of the crystal is 1/2 as dark as the
surrounding solution.

2) With a slow kon, the dye molecules within the crystal start binding
specifically to the protein.  Since the dye is aromatic it probably has
to dig deep into the protein to find a binding site and this takes time.
 As dye is removed from the bulk solvent it is rapidly replaced by
diffusion from outside the crystal, and the crystal begins to darken,
eventually becoming darker than the surrounding liquid.

   The speed of binding is controlling the kinetics not diffusion.

Dale Tronrud