Can I remind everyone that animals scattering is in reality *anisotropic* and
therefore in some crystals, depending on the distribution of the anomalous
scatterers in the protein and the symmetry of the space group, there may be
relative orientations of beam and crystal in which one has lots of anomalous
signal and others in which there is little. See the Templetons' work and also:

Bricogne, G., Capelli, S.C., Evans, G., Mitschler, A., Pattison, P., Roversi,
P., Schiltz, M. X-ray absorption, refraction and resonant scattering tensors in
selenated protein crystals: implications for data collection strategies in
macromolecular crystallography J. Appl. Cryst., 38, 168-182, 2005

I suspect there have been times in which lack of signal or lots of signal have
been attributed to oxidation/reduction of Se atoms, when in fact it may have
been the luck of the draw of how the crystal went up into the beam.

Ciao

Pietro

Sent from my Desktop

Dr. Pietro Roversi
Oxford University Biochemistry Department - Glycobiology Division
South Parks Road
Oxford OX1 3QU England - UK
Tel. 0044 1865 275339