Von: Katherine Sippel [mailto:katherine.sip...@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 5. August 2014 23:23
An: Schreuder, Herman R&D/DE
Cc: ccp4bb
Betreff: Re: [ccp4bb] AW: [ccp4bb] reporting rotational and translational
interface shifts

Hi Herman,
I have done a categorically awful job at explaining the problem.  I'll just
copy and paste my explanation from an off-board conversation.

Normally I would use the angle = cos^-1((a11+a22+a33-1)/2) formula on the
rotation matrix to get the shift angle. My problem is that the shift is
occurring in not quite opposite directions between the three different models
(see attached). Saying that "the dimer orientation shifted 15 degrees between
apo and the homolog versus 11 degrees between the apo and bound" is misleading
because there is a directional component that isn't being accounted for in that
statement. I'm trying to figure the best way to express the dimer orientation
changes in a results section so that it won't be confusing for the reader.
At the moment I'm attempting to co-opt DynDom 3D into identify a rotation axis,
but I am open for suggestions.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 1:50 AM,