From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Eleanor
Dodson
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:44 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] making sure related molecules occupy the same space

Here is a very common scenario for me.
You run several MR jobs, say to search  for 2 mols/asymm unit , maybe with
different models or using different programs..
You get several solutions, probably on different origins and/or related by some
 symmetry operator.
How best to overlap them?
My way is this:
Use PISA to assemble all solutions from each run  into a compact molecule (It
does this by applying allowed symmetry operators.)
Calculate SFS from each solution, combine them and use PHASEMATCH to find the
origin shift .
Move  solution two  to the same origin as solution one.
Now check for fitting - remembering that  if both solutions have chains A B
there is no guarantee that A2 maps to A1 and B2 to B1.
So I superpose A2 onto A1, A2 onto B1 etc till I find a transformation matrix
that is indeed a symmetry operator..

(You can do this in coot providing you can find the output matrix on the
screen!)

Then apply that symmetry to move A2 B2 to overlap A1 B1 ( or maybe B1 A1)  as
appropriate..
Obviously this is a pain in the neck!
Does anyone have a neater solution??
eleanor