I have two small points to add to what has been amply said already. First, those columns (like the pre-filter 6000) are nice to use with ion-exchange or metal affinity columns on FPLCs, attached right after a superloop. Not gel filtration columns. Second, for small samples loaded on gel filtration columns, a hard spin is advised; what I prefer is actually using 0.5-ml spin cups (with 0.4 um filters) from Millipore. There is practically no hold-up volume, and I have been lucky enough to not lose protein over them yet.

http://www.emdmillipore.com/US/en/product/Ultrafree-MC-HV-Centrifugal-Filter,MM_NF-UFC30HVNB

Engin