Well, if you simply replace that "beauty" by this one:

grep "^ATOM" filename.cif | awk '{print $15}' | awk '{s+=$1;} END {print s/NR;}'

You will achieve exactly the same result (the b-factors are in the 15th field of the _atom_site section in deposited mmCIF files). I'm not an expert in awk, but I'm sure that can be made even shorter ;)

It is important to keep in mind that mmCIF files are designed to be usable with grep-like tools, so I don't see any problems in moving forward to that format. Whilst I see a lot of problems in staying with the classic PDB format.

Cheers

Jose