Well,

If it is an SDS-PAGE gel, then the act of boiling the protein in detergent
generally denatures the protein and breaks apart non-covalent interactions.

To assess dimerisation, a non-denaturing technique might be more helpful.
Native-PAGE, Size Exlusion Chromatography, Analytical Ultracentrifugation...

SEC with a suitable column for your predicted protein size would probably
be a first thing to try.

If you have SEC with in-line MALLS, even better.

HTH,

Dave

[image: David Briggs on about.me]

David Briggs