Dear Jeorge

just as a curiosity:
1- do you see a continuous electron density for the ligand, before and after
performing the refinement?
2- do you have only one copy of the molecule(s), and if not, do you see the
same behaviour for all the ligands?
3- what are the B-factor values for the ligand? Any hint that the phosphate
could be very flexible and actually missing?
4- do you see any red (/ green) FoFc densities where the phosphate should (/
not) be? If so, do you see anything else by using 'less data', i.e. data that
would be less prone to radiation damage?
5- what is the resolution of your data?
6- is it a known ligand? If you do have the same ligand, even only once,
present in the PDB, why don't you take the coordinates and libraries from this
already refined structure and try to fit it in your coordinates?
7- do you have chemical data showing that the ligand can stay for very long
times in your protein without being shortened?
8- do you know how pure is your ligand solution? i.e. is your ligand stable at
room temperature (or whatever temperature you did the soaking / complex
formation).
9- similarly, if you did co-crystallisation instead of soaking, it could be
that your protein somehow cleaved the molecule. It will all depend on how
stable is the ligand in high concentrations of the protein, pH dependency and
more.

Those are not real answers to your original question, just points of
curiosity...

Cheers, Leo