Your .eff file must be explicitly referencing the Ca that you removed. Since it
doesn't
exist, phenix stops. Search your .eff file for the string
"name CA and chain A and resname CA and resseq 1"
(maybe a geometry.edit) and remove the reference.

I think the CCP4 bylines specifically encourage discussion of software other
than ccp4, and i think this should be the case even if a discussion list exists
for that software. Not everyone doing crystallography wants to sign up for 10
different mailing lists and get bombarded by the sometimes voluminous mail
(CCP4, phenix, pymol, coot, xplor, sharp, solve, PDBL,
sci.techniques.xtallography, bionet.xtallography, bionet.molbio.proteins,
bionet.structural-nmr, bionet.molec-model, bionet.software.x-plor )