Hi Almudena,

some graphic programs connect atoms based on distance only (draw a line
between two atoms that represents the covalent bond). I suspect this is
what PyMol does. Some may employ more information such as one encoded in
Monomer Library CIF files. Some try to do both. I suspect this is what Coot
does. However, none of the two can represent exactly what refinement
program "thinks" of bonding because refinement programs may employ even
more (often quite sophisticated) heuristics to decide what's bonded and
what's not bonded and how, including user specified custom bonds. This is
why not seeing a line between to seemingly bonded atoms in a graphic
program does not necessarily mean that these atoms were not bonded during
refinement. This is exactly the reason why phenix.refine, for example,
outputs a *geo file that lists absolutely all restraints (bonds, angles,
planes, etc etc) making it absolutely clear what was restrained and how,
for each and every atom. I guess Shelxl ins files do the same.

Pavel