Hi,

this is explained in details in table 2.2.4.1 of vol A of International Tables of Crystallography (p 18 in my edition).

For trigonal/hexagonal, the primary direction is along c, along the 3-fold (6-fold axis). It's the same in tetragonal (obviously for the 4-fold axis !)..

The secondary directions for trigonal/hexagonal are [100], the a vector, [010], the b vector, and [-1-10] the diagonal direction between -a and -b vectors (and therefore of between the a and b vectors).
In tetragonal, the secondary directions are only [100], a, and [010], b.

The tertiary direction for trigonal/hexagonal are [120] and [-2-10] which are directions perpendicular to a and to b, respectively, and [1-10]. None of these directions are the diagonal of a and b vectors. In tetragonal, the tertiary directions are [110], the diagonal of the a and b vectors, and [1-10], the diagonal of the a and -b vectors.

laurent