On Thursday, 12 March, 2015 13:11:10 Keller, Jacob wrote:
> >If projects a middle-C-tone into a piano, do all of the lower notes resonate
> >as well, according to the Kramers-Kronig relation?
>  If you press the right pedal  the harmonics of the note you play will
> resonate. My piano teachers never mentioned to me the  Kramers-Kronig
> relation but that's a long time ago, perhaps they do these days.
>
> Right, I always understood that it was just the harmonics which would
> resonate. But according to Kramers-Kronig, wouldn't there be resonance on all
> strings, just as there's anomalous scattering at all higher energies above
> the edge? Each string of lower frequency would be analogous to an anomalous
> scatterer with an edge at a lower energy than the incident radiation. Hmm,
> maybe it really does happen?

The better-known example is the precaution of having
soldiers break step when crossing a bridge.  The higher-frequency
input from march-tempo footsteps can excite a lower frequency
resonance in the bridge structure with possible bad consequence.
But yes, it works for pianos too.

        Ethan

> A different question: do the real and imaginary components of anomalous
> scattering arise from different processes, or are they simply a way to
> represent the phase of the anomalous scattering?
>
> All the best,
>
> Jacob

Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg
MS 357742,   University of Washington, Seattle 98195-7742