Dear all,

I’m currently looking in to buying a new microscope for viewing crystal plates,
mounting crystals etc, and would love some input into what I should get.

What I would like is a microscope that has a high quality image, that is easy
to work with and which is ergonomical. It does not have to have a fixed digital
camera, but it should be possible to attach a digital camera to take pictures.
Price is obviously also important...

I’ve been looking at the standard microscopes that Molecular Dimensions sell,
and also on a Nikon SMZ18. I remember that we used to have a Leica microscope
in a previous lab that I liked, but can’t seem to find the model at the moment.

I am also interested in getting a UV source, to inspect crystals under UV to
see if you fluoresce (and hence are protein crystals). Molecular Dimension used
to sell XtalLight 100, but doesn’t seem to do so anymore. Do any of you have
other suggestions regarding the possibility of adding UV to a stereomicroscope?

Suggestions and thoughts are more than welcome!

Thanks,
Ronnie

Ronnie Berntsson, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
Umeå University
90187 Umeå
Sweden

e-mail: ronnie.bernts...@medchem.umu.se