On 04/01/15 11:23, Roger Rowlett wrote:

There are 8 possible space groups in the P422 family. Did you search in all of these?

What he said. The answer should be "YES". Phaser is set up to do this easily.

How many search models are likely to fit in the unit cell based on Matthews analysis? Then there are questions about model selection and preparation. How identical is the search model to the target? Does it make sense to search for the domains separately?

If the domains are separate enough to be called "domains", it might be worthwhile to try this.

Did you truncate the model side chains?

I usually try with the full sequence, and with a poly-Ala truncation. Especially if the sequence identity between model and target is low.

BTW, you didn't mention anything about the similarity or identity of the model. That's important in figuring out whether you should have been successful or not. Much more so than the resolution of the data.

There are lots of ways to skin the cat depending on the problems encountered. 3.0 A may be challenging for a low identity search model.

Roger Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor
Department of Chemistry
Colgate University