From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of R. M.
Garavito
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 10:04 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Crystallisation of a minority fraction monomers

I just wanted to disagree with Roger's word choice, but not his argument (this
is a "flame"-free response).  Forget about "packing" and "packable" as there is
no outside force doing the work.  The molecules are just falling into a local
energy minimum where favorable intra- and intermolecular interactions
predominate.  It is difference in the behavior of the ensemble versus of a
solubilized, dispersed species (be it monomer or dimer).  It is a phase
behavior issue.  Concerning Sebastian's case, while it is uncommon, the idea
that a monomer has a crystalline phase state while the dimer does not is
perfectly reasonable, and the crystals of the monomer grow due to mass action.
I am sure the number of verified examples of this are limited.  However, there
are many cases where dimeric and tetrameric enzymes can be shown to be fully
saturated with one or another bound substrate in solution, but show one or more
empty active sites in the crystal.  I know of several cases where this occurs,
showing that selection of the species with the best set of favorable intra- and
intermolecular interactions occurs.

Regards,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:
rmgarav...@gmail.com<mailto:garav...@gmail.com>

On Apr 8, 2015, at 9:28 AM, Roger Rowlett