Hi all,

Picture attached.

I solved the structure of a membrane protein using LCP. When trying to
identify the cation-binding site, I co-crystallized with Rb+. I see strong
density corresponding to Rb+, and it was confirmed in an isomorphous
difference map.

One problem: in the native structure I see strong density for a lipid
molecule from the LCP, in which I can model in very well. In the Rb+
structure, I see more of a blob of density at low rmsd, but when at higher
the spherical Rb begins to show. Based on the isomorphous differnece map
showing nice spherical denstiy for Rb+, it seems the crystal I shot
contains protein molecules with the lipid and others with Rb+. I currently
have Rb+ modeled in, but there is lots of extra density surrounding it,
corresponding to the lipid molecule.

Should I put both molecules in the structure, even though it doesn't make
much sense and would results in odd lipid-cation clashes? Or should I just
leave the Rb+ without lipid since this makes sense chemistry-wise?

Thanks,

Jarrod

Jarrod J. Mousa, Ph.D.
Bruner Laboratory