I didn’t see the following solution in any other responses. It’s probably the
most reasonable one given the constraints of collaboration and publishing.

In the absence of using the best software, I found it practical to write the
equations in MathType and save them as MathType PDF equations and then add
these equations to the document. It is a portable, cross-platform-ish solution.
Others only need to install a MathType player, which is free. The advantage is
that if your equation gets hosed in the document, you still have the original,
editable equation in the PDF. In such cases, you must re-embed it in your
document, but it’s better than fully rewriting it.

With that said, if you want to work behind a full-featured word processor and
have access to the wonders of TeX typesetting, LibreOffice (OpenOffice) +
TexMaths is the best for the author during preparation of a manuscript. At this
point it is bug free (to my experience), embeds vector equations (SVG) or
raster (PNG), is editable, and looks spectacular both when editing and when
publishing/printing.

The downside is that you have to collaborate with people you can’t force into
using the best software. Worse, journals seem to use proprietary publishing
software and they want MathType or equation editor with Microsoft word, hence
my first solution.

James