Extraordinary conclusions require extraordinary proof, yes?

If you are completely convinced (!) that auto-proteolysis is possible
(meaning that the enzyme you're studying is at least a proteinase in
potentia, and also you have utterly ruled out contamination by host
proteases) then the next step is to do some rational mutagenesis of
putative active site(s) - see if proteolysis stops.

90:10 odds that it's just normal proteolysis - the usual kind, by exogenous
proteases - either in the cell before purification, during purification, or
during sample handling and crystallization. It happens all the time.

Artem

- Cosmic Cats approve of this message