Postdoctoral Research Position
Structural studies and inhibitors design of NHEJ pathway

A 24 month postdoctoral position is available in the Laboratory of Structural
Biology and Radiobiology. The group, led by Jean-Baptiste Charbonnier, is
located at the CEA Saclay (South Paris) and is part of the I2BC (Institute of
Integrated Biology of the Cell) (http://www.i2bc.paris-saclay.fr/).
Our team investigates the structural and functional studies of DNA repair
machineries. We produce, crystallize and determine the 3D structure of
complexes involved in DNA repair. We reported the crystal structure of the
XRCC4-Cernunnos/XLF complex and identified a filament organization of this
complex (Ropars, 2011, PNAS; Malivert, 2010, J Biol Chem). We combine in our
studies, X-ray crystallography, molecular modeling, protein-protein interaction
measurements and SAXS. We recently implemented robust protocols for the
production in insect cells, with the MultiBac approach, of 6 core factors of
the human NHEJ pathway: Ku70/Ku80, Artemis, Ligase4-XRCC4 and Cernunnos. Our
first aim is to crystallize multi-protein complexes involving combination of
these NHEJ factors and DNA substrates. To guide our crystallization, we
characterize the stability of our multi-protein complexes with a large set-up
of biochemical and biophysical methods. Our second major aim is to identify and
characterize potent inhibitors of the NHEJ pathway for new anti-cancer
treatments. For that, we combine structure-based drug design, small molecules
screenings, X-ray structure of protein-inhibitor complexes and tight
collaboration with DNA repair biologists.
Our group is part of the Institute of Integrative Biology of the Cell (I2BC).
The I2BC is a mixed research unit supported by the Paris-Sud University, the
CNRS and the CEA. The Institute regroups 80 teams of scientists and 15
technological facilities including state-of-the-art equipment in
high-throughput crystallization, NMR, EM, super-resolution microscopy,
protein-protein interactions, insect cells expression and mass spectrometry.
The Institute is in 3 research campus (Orsay Campus of the Univ Paris Sud
University, Gif Sur Yvette Campus of CNRS, and Saclay Campus of CEA) with 14
buildings. All the I2BC activities will be joined on the Gif Sur Yvette Campus
in 2018. The I2BC generates an excellent scientific environment for high
quality and intensive scientific life. Group meetings, external and internal
seminars in the Institute are in English. Saclay is 30min south Paris by public
transports.
We are seeking highly motivated and skilled researchers with broad and
extensive experience within one or more of the following areas: DNA Repair,
Crystallization, Crystallography, Protein Expression of proteins in insect
cells (or E. Coli), Cellular biology, Protein interaction measurements, SAXS,
EM.
The position is available immediately. Applications should be sent no later
than end of June, including motivation letter, CV, summary of research
experience and contacts for references to:
jb.charbonn...@cea.fr<mailto:jb.charbonn...@cea.fr>
(http://www.i2bc.paris-saclay.fr/spip.php?article168)

Ropars V (2011) Structural characterization of filaments formed by human (2011)
Xrcc4-Cernunnos/XLF complex involved in nonhomologous DNA end-joining. Proc
Natl Acad Sci U S A. 108(31):12663-8
Malivert L (2010) Delineation of the Xrcc4-interacting region in the globular
head domain of cernunnos/XLF. (2010) J Biol Chem. 2010 285(34):26475-83
de Villartay JP (2009) A histidine in the beta-CASP domain of Artemis is
critical for its full in vitro and in vivo functions. DNA Repair (Amst).
8(2):202-8
Guarné (2015) A Insights from a decade of biophysical studies on MutL: Roles in
strand discrimination and mismatch removal (2015) Prog Biophys Mol Biol.
117(2-3):149-156.
Meurisse J (2014) Hug1 is an intrinsically disordered protein that inhibits
ribonucleotide reductase activity by directly binding Rnr2 subunit. (2014)
Nucleic Acids Res. 42(21):13174-85
Bacquin A, (2013)  The helicase FBH1 is tightly regulated by PCNA via
CRL4(Cdt2)-mediated proteolysis in human cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013
41(13):6501-13
Gueneau E, (2013)  Structure of the MutLα C-terminal domain reveals how Mlh1
contributes to Pms1 endonuclease site. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013 20(4):461-8.