A valid concern particularly in this case, and related to a question
someone asked off-list. The model came from a collaborator when it was at
early stages of refinement (Rwork/Rfree 0.244/0.296). I followed up with
steps I knew would additionally confound cross-validation:

   1. I assigned a new free flag in thin shells to allow for the effect of
   NCS on free set independence (Kleywegt & Jones, 1996)
   <http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444995014983>.
   2. I selected one of the NCS mates from coordinates I received and used
   PHASER to position 6 copies of it in the asymmetric unit.

Afterward, I annealed the model (PHENIX.REFINE) to “remove the memory”
(Brunger,
1993) <http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444992007352> of free reflections, to
the extent possible given inherent interdependencies of between reflections
and NCS.
Further to several suggestions about the space group, I am refining the
structure in R3 (hexagonal setting). XDS’s CORRECT.LP “SYMMETRY OF
REFLECTION INTENSITIES” shows Rmeas(146) as 21% v Rmeas(155) 53%. The fact
that I have experimented with both SCALEPACK and XDS intensities throughout
my refinement should not matter in this context as the MTZ files have
consistent indices and the same FREE flag.
Additional testing has shown that mere omission of TLS parameterization
will give Rwork/Rfree of 0.209/0.215 (versus 0.207/0.206 with 10 cycles TLS
refinement). For that comparison, I had to adjust REFMAC’s WEIGHT MATRIX to
achieve similar bond/angle RMSDs. The latter is relevant here since, as
another off-list respondent suggested, Rfree positively correlates with
those RMSDs. I further suspect (but have not tested yet) that omission of
explicit NCS restraints would also cause Rfree to rise.
I tend toward following Gerard Bricogne’s intuition about sample variance
of Rfree. It is mentioned briefly by Brunger (1993). Would this be the
variance
corresponding to Cruickshank’s expected value
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444995010638>?
​