>If you stipulate that you already know the correct answer then it ceases to be
>a useful analogy to solving a crystal structure.

But we do know all of the functions we are trying to fit in crystallography--we
are trying to estimate their parameters.

>The usual problem we face is fixing or replacing an imperfect model. This is
>where it is important to improve the observation/parameter ratio. Would I
>prefer high quality data to low quality data?  Sure! But you typically don't
>have that option.
You do have the option of choosing a model that optimizes the obs/param ratio.

The problem is that not all o:p ratios are created equal.

With regard to your paper: I know there are always a thousand things to do, but
one could repeat your study starting from a high-multiplicity, high-resolution
data set, and see what effect artificially lowering multiplicity (removing
measurements randomly) would have on the optimal cutoff for anisotropic B
refinement. The cutoff would certainly shift towards lower resolution, but I
would be curious by how much. I would guess changing from a multiplicity of 30
to 4 would have a significant if not dramatic effect.

JPK