From: Antonio Ariza [mailto:antonio.ar...@path.ox.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2016 11:58 AM
To: Keller, Jacob <kell...@janelia.hhmi.org>; CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: RE: Tenure Track Positions in UK

Dear Jakob,

I'm trying to do this myself. So, this is my own experience of how things work
around here ... if anybody disagrees or has any further input, please let me
know as I'll appreciate any help I can get.

In order to find an academic opening you can search for a lecturer (this is
basically equivalent to assistant professor in the US) or professor position.
The best site for this is JOBS.AC.UK. You will need to wade through the ads to
find those that expect/allow you to spend time on research. Generally the
universities with higher ranking will expect you to do both research and
teaching, while the smaller universities mainly offer only teaching positions.
The terms "group leader" and "principal investigator" are rarely used in job
advertisements, but when you come across them it means they are looking for
somebody who will mostly run a research group with only limited or no teaching
obligations.

The term "tenure track" is not used in the UK as, in the strictest sense, we
never get tenure (i.e. a life-long position where you basically can't be
fired). Even when you're offered a "permanent" position in the UK, you are
still subject to passing periodic performance tests that check if you bring in
enough grant money or produce enough high level publications to bolster the REF
of your institution (a point system that grades British universities and their
departments).

I would say that in general new group leader positions in structural biology
are VERY rarely offered in the UK and most new group leaders are initially
appointed via fellowships. If you do well during your fellowship, then the
university will grant you a "permanent" position as a senior lecturer or
assistant professor (this is a higher position than the assistant professor
position in the US) at the end of it.

For the fellowship route you need to contact the department where you want to
do your work, tell them what your research project will be about, give them a
detailed 3-5 year project plan and tell them what fellowships/grants you will
apply for. If they like you and your project, they will then offer you a place
in the department subject to you obtaining the money first (they will help you
with the application).

If you've already held a fellowship and have some grant money you can take with
you and therefore don't need the university to pay for your salary, overheads
and research costs, then you can also contact most university departments and
tell them about it. If you are at this level, then your chances are good.

I hope this helps,

Tony

Dr. Antonio Ariza
University of Oxford