Dear Rohit,

I wouldn’t judge a structure just by the Rwork and Rfree values, but also by
the validation and other statistics (bond lengths, angles, Ramachandran plot,
map quality, fit to map, average B values). If these are all ok, you should be
able to “get away with” an Rfree of 33%.
In your email you state that you have already made a significant effort in
different refinement strategies, so perhaps there is no improvement to be made
there.
The reason for the high-ish Rfree could be that the data is not so good, and
reprocessing might help. Although the most likely outcome is that you can’t
significantly improve it, but at least trying will put your mind more at ease.
In the end, the only way to improve the structure, and R-factors, may be to
grow a better crystal, cryo-protect better and/or collect better data - this
particular crystal may just have some kind of disorder.

Greetings,

Mark J van Raaij
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC