Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] Im Auftrag von Andrew
Lovering
Gesendet: Montag, 19. Dezember 2016 09:43
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: [ccp4bb] unusual monoclinic relation?

Dear All,

I have just collected data on a mutant of a protein that should be facile to
solve by molrep (one residue/320 changed, approx 2Ang resolution) but is
proving problematic. Data merging stats look good.

The spacegroup is monoclinic, P21, the cell:

a=39.47 b=157.36 c=74.9 beta=98.26

I spotted the relevant monoclinic twin laws on ccp4 twinning page and all
relate multiples of axes a and c with one another (na +nc etc) but in the above
case it would appear b~ = 4a

There are other datasets, all index in this way, some hint at issues by
indexing with the alternate a=74 b=157 c=79 (where a and c "swap" with a
doubled, and thus our b=4a turns into b=2c)

I would appreciate any advice on how to progress! Be nice to solve it
pre-xmas.....

Best & thanks in advance,
Andy