Hi Alexandra and Matt
I am using OSX Sierra 10.12.2 and Xquartz 2.7.11 and noticing severe
degradation in performance with coot and pymol. I can get the program to
load up and X11 window comes up. But if I try rotating even a small 30kd
protein , the rotation is smooth for two seconds and then the molecule
stops responding to the mouse.

I have tried this on a Macbook Pro and Macbook Air with different levels of
RAM ( 8GB and 16 GB ) and graphics card with same Xquartz and am close to
convinced there is something strange with Sierra and Xquartz ( a few months
before my Sierra upgrade -early Dec 2016 , I didnt see any issues with El
Capitaan ).

Wanted to add to your thread in case more people see this
Hari