Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] Im Auftrag von Smith Lee
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2017 06:22
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: Re: [ccp4bb] on space group

Dear All,

Here may I make my question much clear? For the space group P 65 crystal, it
seems we can call it "6-fold packing of subunits around a screw axis in the
crystal". Then for the space group P 64 crystal, can it also be called "6-fold
packing of subunits around a screw axis in the crystal"?

Smith

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:50 AM, Ethan Merritt
<merr...@u.washington.edu<mailto:merr...@u.washington.edu>> wrote:

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 02:33:14 AM you wrote:

> Dear All,
> In the literature, somebody call space group P65 crystal as  "six fold screw
> axis crystal packing", then I would not make any mistake if I call P64 space
> group crystal also as  "six fold screw axis crystal packing",am I right?
> I am looking forward to getting a reply from you.
> Smith

"six-fold screw axis" refers to the symmetry.

"crystal packing" refers to the molecule-to-molecule contacts regardless of
symmetry.

So no, I don't think "six fold screw axis crystal packing" makes any sense.

--
Ethan A Merritt, Dept of Biochemistry
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg