From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of D Bonsor
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:35 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Anisotropy and temperature

A PhD student asked me what causes diffraction anisotropy.  Quoting from the
Diffraction Anisotropy Server webpage that it is caused by whole-body
anisotropic vibration of unit cells. He asked whether a colder cyrostream could
improve anisotropy. My answer would be yes, as colder temperatures would lower
the vibrations.

My two questions are; (1) am I right? and (2) if so, has it ever been done
before in practice?

Thanks,

Dan