The main issue is that carboxyls seem to be invisible and Coot tries to fit them as though the map had them there

Well, if the atoms are part of the model, then Coot will try to fit them to the "data." I routinely chop off GLU and ASP side-chain when modelling into cryo-EM maps (that's what the K key is for).

That seems unnecessarily harsh. Remember that EM maps do not show electron density but electric potential, so undamaged negatively charged moieties should occur at negative density levels. There is an "Aha-Erlebnis" paper (at least, that's the effect it had on me :-) ) by Jimin Wang and Peter Moore (entitled "On the interpretation of electron microscopic maps of biological macromolecules") on this very topic in last month's EM-special of Protein Science, Vol 26, pp 122-129.

--Gerard

                           Gerard J. Kleywegt

      http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard   mailto:ger...@xray.bmc.uu.se
   The opinions in this message are fictional.  Any similarity
   to actual opinions, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
   Little known gastromathematical curiosity: let "z" be the
   radius and "a" the thickness of a pizza. Then the volume
            of that pizza is equal to pi*z*z*a !