Dear Jacob, dear TO,

(I have wondered what can be 'micro' about diffraction - would you know?)

it would be very exciting to get the structure by electron diffraction - as
much as I know it would be the first new structure solved from a 3D crystal
with electron radiation in the PDB. You would have to contact one of the 3-4
labs that to electron diffraction of protein samples (Abrahams, Gonen,
Hovmoeller / Zou (possibly), and Yonekura/Toyoshima in alphabetic order). The
first and the last group are equipped with sensitive hybrid pixel detectors
that might help.

A good test to get an idea about the resolution you might get from electron
diffraction is to scratch up as many of your crystals and analyse the powder
pattern with a strong X-ray source (synchrotron, or very good home source).

Note that when you can see the crystals with a light microscope, they are most
likely too big for electron diffraction - you might end up seeing a black
screen with no electron penetrating your samples.

Best regards,
Tim

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:59:44 PM CET Keller, Jacob wrote:
> Although trying to refine the crystals is perhaps the most straightforward
> thing, you might consider trying micro electron diffraction (micro-ED) with
> the existing samples—the technique is working increasingly better, and
> would work well with your tiny crystals. Look at Tamir Gonen’s recent
> papers for more info.

> All the best,
>
> Jacob Keller

Paul Scherrer Institut