From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Richard Berry
<richard.be...@monash.edu>
Sent: 02 March 2017 05:50
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Dimer in SDS-PAGE

Dear Bert
You made the comment a few weeks ago not to boil helical membrane proteins for
SDS-PAGE. Could i please ask, does this also apply to type I membrane proteins
that only have a single a-helix, or is it just membrane proteins that are
predominantly helical?
Thanks
Rich

On 22 February 2017 at 19:18, Bert Van-Den-Berg
<bert.van-den-b...@newcastle.ac.uk<mailto:bert.van-den-b...@newcastle.ac.uk>>
wrote:

like others I'm not clear why you care where your protein runs on SDS-PAGE. I
think the band you're seeing is in fact the tetramer, suggesting your protein
(like KcsA) is very stable. Helical membrane proteins often migrate faster than
expected (by their Mw) on SDS-PAGE.

Also, never boil helical membrane protein samples, they will aggregate.

bert