Dear Antonio,
we have seen this type of modifications in some of our structures. The
modification of the cysteine (to cysteine-sulfenic, sulfinic or sulfonic acid)
usually arises from exposure to oxygen during crystallization. We managed to
prevent this by either adding TCEP to the protein buffer and/or setting the
crystallization trays in an anaerobic chamber. This modification is, to the
best of our knowledge, irreversible.

Have you tried the cysteine in a (CYS+CSU) alternate conformation (meaning that
some molecules got oxidized and some weren't)?

Regarding the PEG, you can try PEG, PGE or PG4 which are smaller than PE4.

HTH,
Jose