Postdoctoral Positions are available in the Laboratory of Structural
Virology @ University of Toronto.

The Laboratory of Structural Virology, directed by Prof. Jeffrey E. Lee, is
interested in understanding the structural and molecular mechanisms of key
viral and cellular processes. Specifically, the thrust of our research is
focused on two areas:
        (a) Virus-cell and cell-cell fusion, and
        (b) Anti-viral immune restriction factors.

Our goal is to reveal new strategies that viruses use to control cellular
processes and pathogenesis, and to transform how we think about host-virus
interactions. We employ novel hybrid methods that integrate X-ray
crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, small angle X-ray scattering,
deuterium exchange mass spectrometry, biochemistry, and virology.

The lab has made seminal contributions with a strong publications record in
the past 5 years (Cook et al. PNAS 2017; Aydin et al. Nature 2016; Siu et
al. Nature Communications 2013).

Overall, the lab is well-equipped with excellent structural biology and
biochemistry facilities. We have a fully-equipped protein expression
facility for insect, human, bacterial, and yeast systems. Moreover, a full
suite of biophysical (nanoITC, BLI, CD, UV/Vis, fluorescence polarization,
SEC-MALS, DLS) and structural (Art Robbins Scorpion, Douglas Instruments
Oryx 8, Formulatrix UV Rock Imager 1000, FRAP/fluorescence microscope)
infrastructure is available in-house. Regular synchrotron access is
available to the lab at the Canadian Light Source, Brookhaven NSLS-II,
Advanced Photon Source (Chicago), and Advanced Light Source (Berkeley).

The lab is located directly in downtown Toronto on the main St. George
campus at the University of Toronto within the Medical Sciences Building.
The laboratory is in the heart of the Toronto Discovery District and close
proximity to the University of Toronto-affiliated research hospital
institutes.

A full description of the research themes and publications in the lab can be
found at:  www.leelab-utoronto.com

We are looking for full-time postdoctoral leaders for our two fully-funded
projects.

Candidates are expected to have:
    -  scientific curiosity and creativity
    -  independence and ability to collaborate
    -  self-motivation, strong work ethics and dedication
    -  experience in molecular biology (cloning)
    -  knowledge of bacterial, insect or mammalian protein expression (bonus
if candidate knows all three)
    -  expertise in X-ray crystallography, protein biochemistry, biophysics,
and/or virology
    -  structural studies of macromolecular complexes by crystallography or
cryo-EM are considered assets
    -  a recent PhD in structural biology, biochemistry or related
discipline (or completing in 2017)
    -  a strong peer-reviewed publication record

Toronto is considered one of the world¹s most dynamic and multi-cultural
cities. It is consistently ranked top 5 most liveable cities in the world.

The position is fully-funded and scheduled for an immediate start.
Applications (or enquiries) should be addressed to Prof. Jeffrey Lee
jeff....@utoronto.ca  I will be happy to discuss details of the projects.
Applications should include a cover letter addressing suitability and
ambition for the position, CV with list of first-authored publications, and
academic referee contact information. The position will remain open until
filled.