Dear Petr,

I observed both open and closed protein conformations discretely disordered in
the crystals of tyrosine phenol-lyase. In some cases, I could model two ligand
conformations in the disordered active site, but the polypeptide chain could be
modeled in the prevalent conformation only (for example see: Milic et al., J.
Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 16468-16476, http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja203361g). In
two crystals soaked with two different ligands, there was approximately 50 %
occupancy of each conformation, so I could model both open and closed
polypeptide conformations (affecting 129 amino acid residues). Details about
these two structures can be found in my doctoral thesis (D. Milic, Doctoral
Thesis, University of Zagreb, 2010;
https://bib.irb.hr/datoteka/472684.Dalibor_Milic_Doctoral_Thesis.pdf; Section
4.4 "Discrete disorder of the whole protein domain in the TPL crystals"). Some
of the interactions between protein subunits observed for the open conformation
are disrupted after the closure of one of the protein subunits. To compensate
for these broken interactions, new interactions are formed within the protein
subunit in the closed conformation. I wrote more about that in my Thesis, page
106.

Another example of such discrete disorder of a polypetide chain affecting 53
residues is described in Lehwess-Litzmann et al, Nat. Chem. Biol. 2011, 7,
678-684 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nchembio.633), PDB ID 3S0C
(http://dx.doi.org/10.2210/pdb3s0c/pdb), chain D.

I guess there are many more such structures. To find similar examples in PDB,
one would need to search for entries where there are alternate location
indicators present for an arbitrary long stretch of neighboring residues.

I hope my answer is helpful.

Best regards,
Dalibor

--