Hi liuqing,

It is more usual to finish with a sec because you control the composition
of the final conditioning buffer of your sample and remove any aggregates.
 We personally favor the following sequence
iMac - desalt - iex if necessary - sec

Desalt meaning one of those small Pd10 like column that enable the quick
removal of imidazole and conditioning of your protein for either cleavage
with a protease of you wish to remove tags and/or lowering of salt
concentration to bind on an iex column if u wish to do one.

That said . In some cases
Doing a real sec straight after IMac has the advantage to remove some large
molecular weight contaminants ( usually DNA) and some aggregates that are
annoying.

These choices depend on your target of course and the level of abundance
too.

Best,
Pascal Egea, PHD
UCLA Geffen School of Medicine