For serial crystallography at the SLS, the procedures that were in place more
than a year ago are described in https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28573576 .
I'd say these procedures are an order of magnitude more straightforward than
what is in the paper that you cite, and give better results. Since then, a
procedure was developed that made it possible to easily cluster (or select)
similar data sets (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28375141). This is
available, for datasets processed with XDS, as xscale_isocluster, from XDSwiki.
This opens new opportunities to work with serial crystallographic data (also
those from XFEL), and if nothing else will result in better merged data through
better selection.

The methods development in this field is ongoing, and the current state will be
displayed at next week's ISSX2 workshop at the SLS (
http://indico.psi.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=5553 ). It will also be one
topic at the forthcoming 2018 CCP4 Study Weekend
(https://eventbooking.stfc.ac.uk/news-events/ccp4-study-weekend-2018-384).

HTH,

Kay