These are not easy questions to answer.  Certainly atoms,
particularly ones that are charged, even with fractional charges, have a
strong effect on the ESP.  If you delete them because you don't know
exactly where they are you will get a different answer than if you put
them in in some reasonable but unsupported location (as you have found).
 This result indicates that the peptide does affect the ESP
significantly and you have to consider it.

   You could build lots of models with the peptide in different
conformations and average all the maps.  This misses the point.  You
have uncertainty in your model which means that you have uncertainty in
your electrostatic potential.  Any particular ESP that you calculate and
draw conclusions from will have a large uncertainty and you must
consider that uncertainty when deciding between your potential
conclusions.  (I'm not sure if the pun is intended or not!)

   I suppose you could believe that each possible conformation exists to
some extent in reality which means that all the ESP's you calculate
exist in some fraction of the molecules in the cell.  It is possible
that only the molecules with a particular conformation of this peptide
have the ESP that allows the molecule to function.  Life is hard.

   Another issue that you must consider: If the exact conformation of
this loop causes changes to the ESP that you consider significant to
your understanding of the function of this protein, the presence and
conformation of neighboring proteins and solvent will also cause
significant changes to the ESP.  The biological context of the protein
becomes important.  If your interpretation depends critically on the
value and distribution of ESP then I'm not sure you can work this out
based on calculated ESP, considering the large uncertainty.

Dale Tronrud