Postdoctoral Position: Structural and mechanistic characterization of Cell
wall signaling cascades at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland

Prof. Julia Santiago at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland, is looking for
a postdoctoral fellow to
dissect cell wall signaling pathways in mechanistic detail. The position is
available from July 2017 until
filled.

Who we are and what we are interested in: We are an ERC Starting Grant-funded
lab with a key
interest in plant development and plant signaling cascades. In particular, we
would like to understand
how plants sense chemical and mechanical changes in the cell wall, and how they
integrate this
information inside the cell to regulate growth, shape and protection. The group
combines structural
biology (X-ray protein crystallography) and quantitative biochemistry with
genetics and cell biology in
the model plant Arabidopsis thaliana. We are offering a dynamic and dedicated
research environment
with state-of-the art facilities for structural biology,
biochemistry,(eukaryotic expression platform,
biophysical instrumentation and access to a crystallization facility), plant
genetics and cell biology. Our
research is focused on cell signaling and cell wall remodeling events (Santiago
et al., EMBO J, 2011;
Santiago, Henzler & Hothorn, Science, 2013; Santiago et al., eLife, 2016)
essential to plant growth and
development. Our lab is located at the University of Lausanne at the Dorigny
Campus, by the lake
Geneva, in Lausanne.

Your profile: You are a recent (less than 2 year) PhD graduate in structural
biology or biochemistry
with a keen interest in signal transduction. You have a good working knowledge
of protein biochemistry
(eukaryotic protein expression, purification, characterization), structural
biology (protein crystallization,
structure determination) and an interest in learning new methods and skills.
Your are fluent in English
(both written and oral) and your have demonstrated your scientific abilities by
at least one 1st author
publication in a peer-reviewed structural biology/biochemistry journal. We are
seeking a creative, self-
motivated team-player that will integrate with the other plant biologists in
the group. Suitable candidates
will be encouraged to apply for fellowships, but internal funding is available.

We offer: A postdoctoral position (for up to 5 years) in a friendly,
international and interdisciplinary
working environment with possibilities of continuous training in different
techniques.

Contact: Please direct applications (consisting of a letter of intent, your CV,
and names of 2-3 referees)
and informal inquiries to Julia Santiago (julia.santi...@unil.ch).

Julia Santiago
Assistant Professor