Dear Community,

A little bit out of topic here. An enzyme we like to use in our assay is
commercially available. However, we found some unfavorable activities that
probably from the contaminants from this commercial source. We checked the
company website and found out this enzyme was purified from the original
organism without tag for enhancing purification. No purity data was shown as
well.

So we want to see whether we can produce the recombinant protein with tag.
After checking the literatures, this enzyme is a N-linked glycosylated protein
(glycan attached to 3 asparagine residues) and is from fungi Penicillium
citrinum. These 3 glycosylations probably affect protein folding, stability and
its location in the cell. Currently we have three options here:

1. Express this enzyme in yeast which is a similar system compared to
Penicillium citrinum. His6 tag will be added to the N- or C- terminal of this
protein.
2. Express this enzyme in the periplasm of E.coli. However, no glycosylation
system in E.coli. Only one paper published in a not well known journal used
this method. But the result is not very conclusive to us. If their claim is
correct, the glycosylation at this enzyme is not essential for protein
production.
3. Express this enzyme in insect cells. More complicated and advanced
glycosylation system in insect cells compared to fungi.

Anyone has experience with glycoprotein? It will be very helpful if I can have
your advice. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Wenhe