A postdoctoral research associate position in membrane protein structural
biology/biochemistry is immediately available in the Department of Biochemistry
& Molecular Biology at Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, US. One
major direction in Dr. Jian Hu’s laboratory is structural biology study of
metal transporters important in medicine. Previously, we have solved the first
crystal structure of the extracellular domain of a mammalian ZIP4 zinc
transporter (Nature Communications, 2016) and the first full length ZIP metal
transporter (Science Advances, 2017). By employing multidisciplinary approaches
of structural biology, biochemistry, biophysics and cell biology, we are aiming
to establish the structural basis and clarify the molecular mechanisms of metal
homeostasis in eukaryotic cells. The MSU cryo-EM facility will be updated with
a new transmission and scanning transmission electron microscope by the end of
2018. The laboratory is well funded by federal agencies, and the position can
be supported up to four years based on mutual satisfaction. The other ongoing
projects include biogenesis of the Ni-pincer cofactor, the PIPK lipid kinases
and the calcium sensing receptor. To obtain more information, please visit our
website (https://bmb.natsci.msu.edu/faculty/jian-hu/).

The successful candidate must be highly self-motivated with Ph.D. in structural
biology, biochemistry, biophysics, molecular biology or related fields.
Hands-on experience in membrane protein biochemistry is required. Experience in
structural biology (x-ray crystallography/cryo-EM/NMR) is desirable, but not
necessary. Interested individuals should submit a brief cover letter, CV, and
the names and the contact information of three referees to Dr. Jian Hu by
email: huji...@msu.edu.

~~~~~~

Jian Hu, PhD
Assistant Professor,
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology &
Department of Chemistry,
Michigan State University,
603 Wilson Rd., East Lansing, MI 48824
https://bmb.natsci.msu.edu/faculty/jian-hu/