TLS groups are a good way to reduce the R-factor without doing very stupid things. They give a better fit of coordinates to the data, so, when done well, you get a better description of reality without (hopefully) over-fitting. Most times, I think, TLS groups are defined by the experimentalist and it is rather easy to have some residues in a TLS group that perhaps better should not have been in that group. In practice this seems not to be a big problem, but when you are going to use TLS parameters to compare mobility reduction it seems worth thinking about these problems.

That's why we made the BDB (http://www.cmbi.umcn.nl/bdb/), a database in which we (for about 80% of the whole PDB) calculated isotropic B-factors for all atoms. Those isotropic B-factors might also not be the best thing, but when studying mobility aspects of proteins they will work better than either looking at TLS values or looking as residual B-factors.

Obviously, the BDB holds data only for deposited PDB files, but if anybody contacts me outside the list we might be able to help.

Gert