yes, but irrespective of how much one knows or thinks one knows, one should
avoid being gratuitously offensive.
cheers
jon

Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] Im Auftrag von Ian
Tickle
Gesendet: Montag, 10. September 2018 12:58
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: Re: [ccp4bb] Electron density maps for Cryo-EM structures.

Hi Marin

I was about to comment on that too but then I realised that Pavel is referring
to the map _contours_  (which is what most people using a map visualisation
program like Coot actually see).  So the contoured map does represent an
iso-potential surface.  I'm sure Pavel is aware that the original cryo-EM maps
are 3-dimensional objects.

Cheers

-- Ian

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 10:49, Marin van Heel
<0000057a89ab08a1-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk<mailto:0000057a89ab08a1-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk>>
 wrote:

Unfortunately,

The problem here lies primarily in the answer given,  not so much in the
question asked by a newcomer:

"1) In cryo-EM maps are not electron density maps but surfaces representing
electric potential. "

The answer appears to reflect the widespread misunderstanding that EM images
(and hence cryo-EM maps)  only show the surfaces not the internal density of
the complexes we study.
In my Imperial College/Leiden University  lecture notes, I have always used the
below slide to illustrate this point.

Cheers,

Marin

[cid:part1.5DA80E33.F02E5B7D@googlemail.com]