Re: publishing benchmarks - great idea - expand on what James described earlier.

Most programs are GHz dependent (for most “sensible” definitions of GHz (not
the mega-hyper-pipeline stall prone P4 say) however I see your point that
“threaded” and “optimised for vector systems (e.g. AVX512)” would be very
useful.

I am certainly not advocating that computers > 3 years old should be thrown
away ;-) I am one of those folks with a bad hoarding instinct, “it’s good for
parts” “it still works fine” are all in my lexicon. If you are coot-ing and
want to refine a modest structure probably most machines < 10 years old will be
fine.

What I was trying to say is that your experience of how fast something is will
depend on your use case, and that the boffins in Santa Clara and Sunnyvale have
not been sitting on their hands this past decade.

Finally, processing “modern” data sets can be a challenge even on fairly hefty
machines - if you pull data04 from https://zenodo.org/record/1443110 you will
find a 3 minute data set [1] which (even with XDS; tweaked for speed script)
can take a long while on a modern-ish machine. 10 year old core2 duo will not
get this done in the same kind of time-frame.

best wishes Graeme

PS kudos to folks for sharing the data online

[1] which would make a fun challenge benchmark :-)

On 3 Dec 2018, at 02:16, Markus Heckmann