Dear Sen

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 11:05:26AM -0500, Yao, Sen wrote:
> Thank you Ian! The response is really informative.
>
> I am aware that electron density is a point sample. And multiply it by the
> voxel volume is an estimated average. I do have a normalization step in my
> calculation that should average this potential error out. It would be nice
> to sample it finely, but given that I am working with just the ccp4 files
> available, how they sampled it is what went directly in my calculations.
> Hope this clarifies your concerns.
>
> For the second issue, I've also notice that as well and did actually
> optimize the radii for each atom type based on the criteria that they need
> to include a significant number of electrons across the whole PDB
> structures. Voronoi polyhedra is probably another way to do it; as for my
> calculation, I think once the density is below 1.5 sigma (for 2mFo-DFc),
> there is not much information gain to keep extending the radii around an
> atom.

     The term "1.5 sigma" says it all: this "sigma" a root-mean-square
deviation from the average density in the map, which is zero because
of the absence of the F000 term in the Fourier synthesis used to
compute that map. To get the pointwise density you want, you have to
add back that missing true mean density per voxel, i.e. on absolute
scale the total number of electrons in the unit cell divided by the
number of voxels in that unit cell.