From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Edward
Snell
Sent: 07 March 2019 20:56
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] change in unit cell volume

Hi Murpholino,

I’ve looked at this with respect to metals in the protein and found that it was
very informative to compare fractional coordinates which compensate for the
volume expansion. When that is done, some apparent motions may be simply due to
unit cell expansion (waters, metals, ligands etc.), while others can be very
specific and produce structural non-isomorphism.

I suspect the chemical damage has much more of an impact. Owen, Rudino-Pinera
and Garman (PNAS, 2006) recommend an absolute maximum dose of 30 MGy. I’ve not
compared cell expansion as a function of dose for a large sample of proteins
but in a recent study (conveniently just heading for publication) I have seen a
linear ~0.3% expansion per MGy which gives ~1% at 30 MGy. I don’t know if it’s
the same for other proteins but I seem to remember a study or two on this and
fully expect the authors to give me grief for forgetting them at the moment!

Unit cell decreases could possibly be an impact of specific damage to
crystallization contacts, off center crystals (if it’s within a data set),
detector shifts or energy changes (both unlikely). I’ve not heard of a unit
cell decrease being driven by damage but that’s not to say that it doesn’t
happen.

Best,

Eddie

PS. Shameless plug –- http://getacrystal.com

Edward Snell Ph.D.

Biological Small Angle Scattering Theory and Practice, Eaton E. Lattman, Thomas
D. Grant, and Edward H. Snell.
Available through all good bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press

Director of the NSF BioXFEL Science and Technology Center
President and CEO Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
BioInnovations Chaired Professorship, University at Buffalo, SUNY
700 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203-1102
hwi.buffalo.edu
Phone:       (716) 898 8631         Fax: (716) 898 8660
Skype:        eddie.snell                 Email:
esn...@hwi.buffalo.edu<mailto:esn...@hwi.buffalo.edu>
Webpage: https://hwi.buffalo.edu/scientist-directory/snell/

[cid:image002.png@01D4D58B.E18F91C0]
Heisenberg was probably here!