Sergei,

That depends heavily on the protein, so I don't know if a statistical study
will accurately reflect the
importance of temperature.  With some proteins, no matter how thoroughly
you sample chemical
space, temperature is critical, and a study would have to focus on such a
protein.  The data available
is probably biased, because it is far easier to do crystallization
experiments close to room temperature,
and most proteins for which structures have actually been determined
probably were not crystallized at
4 degrees C.  I would venture to guess that there is a large protein
structure space that has yet to be explored
comprising proteins that don't normally form highly ordered crystals close
to room temperature (at least in
their native states, i.e., without creative protein redesigns coupling the
structure of interest to an additional
subunit or domain that facilitates crystallization at higher temperatures).

Daniel M. Himmel, Ph. D.

E-mail :  danielmhim...@gmail.com

URL  :  http://www.DanielMhimmel.com/index_Xtal.html
<http://www.danielmhimmel.com/index_Xtal.html>